Is that go-to dinner recipe getting old?
Try this delicious, make ahead chicken soup.
It’s easy to “set and forget” in your crockpot, and its variety of healthy ingredients will leave you feeling your best!
Dinner Recipe: Crockpot Chicken Soup
In this video, Registered Dietician Noelle Citarella, of Buffalo Nutrition & Dietetics, and Julia Mullican, Buffalo Rehab Group Physician & Community Liaison, walk you through preparing a healthy, make ahead chicken soup.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 7 1/2 to 8 1/2 hours
- 1 pound dried cannellini beans, soaked overnight and drained (or 4 15-ounce cans of no-salt-added cannellini beans)
- 6 cups unsalted chicken broth
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 (4 ounce) Parmesan cheese rind, plus 2/3 cup grated Parmesan
- 2 bone-in chicken breasts (1 pound/each)
- 4 cups chopped kale
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
- Combine beans, broth, onion, carrots, rosemary, and Parmesan rind in 6-quart crockpot. Top with chicken. Cover and cook on low until the beans and vegetables are tender (7-8 hours)
- Transfer chicken to a clean cutting board, letting stand until cool enough to handle (about 10 minutes). Shred the chicken and discard the bones.
- Return the chicken to the crockpot and stir in kale. Cover and cook on high until kale is tender (20-30 minutes).
- Stir in lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Discard the Parmesan rind. Serve the soup drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with Parmesan and parsley.
This simple dinner recipe is perfect for a healthy and easy weeknight meal!
Try prepping your veggies the night before so you can quickly put everything together in the morning.
Want more help creating & sticking to a healthier diet?
Sign up for the 2022 YMCA Wellness Series to recharge, refresh, and renew your health!
Registration is free, and all classes are held online with leading Western New York healthcare professionals.